Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Degree progress: your questions answered

I am fortunate to possess several talents: one of which is the ability to keep myself busy. So, as you may recall, the summer Lilly was born, I began another degree. It's been a long journey; very rewarding and very challenging, especially with two small children, two dogs, a husband and a job. Many of you have asked me "how's your school?" or "when are you done?" I thought I'd take a minute to outline my doctoral program at Northern Arizona University and let you know where I am along the path...

Program Requirements and Status:
1. Doctoral coursework: DONE
2. Comprehensive exams: DONE
3. Dissertation:
a. Chapter 1- Introduction: DONE
b. Chapter 2- Literature Review: DONE
c. Chapter 3- Methodology: DONE
d. Prospectus hearing with committee: DONE (this gives the approval of chapters 1-3 and the green light for data collection)
e. Data collection: DONE
f. Data analysis: In progress
g. Chapter 4- Data analysis: Not done
h. Chapter 5- Conclusions and recommendations: Not done
i. Dissertation oral defense: Not done until dissertation is complete
4. Graduation: scheduled for December 11, 2009.

I can see the light at the end of this very long tunnel. I'm technically "in candidacy" after completing the prospectus. The goal at the end of this degree: Doctor of Education, emphasis in Higher Education and Leadership

I think I can. I think I can... choo choo. This train keeps moving!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow Lori that all sounds so intense! I have no idea what any of it means but I know you're doing superbly!! Making a trip to Kansas sometime this summer? Love you all so much!

Craig, Carrie, Park, Zoe and Luka said...

I'm so impressed, Lori! I can barely find time to shower with just one kid. Your determination is inspiring! Can't wait to hear about your graduation later this year. In fact, we're going to be in your area in October and we'd love to congratulate you a little early in person. I'll send you the details soon!
Carrie