Friday, September 11, 2009

Everything's a comparison

Lilly is quite the talker- always has been- but she has been on a serious talking kick lately.
Over the past few weeks we've noticed that everything she does she seems to verbally rationalize or mentally process what is going on to whoever is around, usually Rob or me. Her rationalizations seem to be all along one main theme... a comparison of whatever the situation is to the ability of someone else or something else to do the same task. For example, if we ask her to brush her teeth she will say. "But not Claire. Claire can't brush her teeth with the Mermaid toothbrush. And not Belle and Sue. Belle and Sue can't brush their teeth. They're dogs." Or... when we asked Lilly if she wanted to go to the zoo last weekend, she rationalized her response this way "Belle and Sue can't go to the zoo. Only Lilly and Claire can. And not our house. Our house can't go to the zoo because it is too big." Or, when we talk about going home to Kansas in October Lilly says, "Only you, me, daddy and Claire can get on the airplane, right? Not our car. Our car is too big to go on the airplane." Or when we told her aunt Brianne had her baby she says, "But Isabel can't talk. She can't talk because she's a baby. But I'm not a baby. I'm a big girl and I can talk. But Claire can't talk because she's still a baby." So, I guess it's good that she's figuring all of this out!

It is VERY comical. Rob and I glance at each other and smile whenever she gets in one of these "modes", which is several times each day. It is too cute... just adorable. Oh the joys of being Lilly's parents!

No comments: