Thursday, May 6, 2010

Star Spangled Dreams....


Tonight's bedtime routine was typical... Claire went down without a hitch, and Lilly required her 45 minute routine. We read stories- several of them, I turned out the light, and proceeded to say prayers and sing songs. Each night our songs usually depend on which stories we read- I make them up as I go, and this seems to amuse Lilly quite a bit. The songs are usually funny and goofy while following the general story line. Tonight we read Bible stories, so Lilly requested a song about Jonah and the whale and one about Joseph and his coat. So, I made them up! Inevitably, when the songs end, Lilly tries to con me into singing more. Tonight I told her Dad would sing her a song when he got home from the airport- he is on a business trip and should be home soon. Lilly frowned and then revealed a secret that has eluded me for weeks, it seems. Lilly said, "Dad will just sing the Star Spangled Banner." I thought she was kidding but at the same time wondered how a 3-year-old would know the Star Spangled Banner. I began to sing the tune, and she confirmed it was indeed the song Dad sings at night. So, now the truth is out... Rob is prepping Lilly for a life of patriotism- either that or I need to teach him how to make up a tune or two.

No comments: